Thursday, August 23, 2012

Homemade playdoh!

Rhett has recently been into playing with playdoh.  I bought a small 4 pack of tiny ones at Target for $1 and he plays with them for awhile.  He is even careful not to mix the colors!  I did some searching online and on Pinterest and found some recipes that I thought I'd try.  Here is one I made that turned out really well!

http://rustsunshine.blogspot.com/2011/09/homemade-play-dough.html <--- This is where I found the recipe.

You'll need:

1 cup flour

1 cup warm water
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. oil
1/4 cup salt
food coloring


1. Mix all ingredients together. Stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the dough thickens, pulls away from the sides, and forms a ball (about 5-10 minutes).

2. Remove from pan and knead until blended smooth.


3. Food coloring can be added when mixing ingredients before heating, or kneading the dough afterward. (I made 3 batches and split them each in half, so I added the food coloring afterward.) Add a few drops at a time and knead until the color is completely incorporated - add more if necessary.  I also added glitter to one of mine.  (I only made three batches because I accidentally added 1/2 cup of salt to my second batch- so ended up doubling the whole recipe)

Finished products- not mixed completely, but liked the tie-dye look.

Rhett was excited to play with it!  He woke up from his nap and saw it on his high chair from his crib.

He played for quite awhile.

Even got out some cookie cutters.


Overall, the playdoh was a huge hit! Now, 3-4 weeks later, the playdoh is still soft and moldable.  I kept it in Glad containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment